A Complete Medical System
Acupuncture and Traditional Oriental Medicine (TOM) is a complete medical system that has been used to diagnose, treat and prevent illness— and promote well-being for thousands of years. The ancient Chinese recognized a vital energy behind all life forms and life processes. They called this energy Qi (pronounced Chee). In a healthy person, Qi flows within specific energetic pathways called meridians in a harmonious and healthy way. Disease arises because of a deficiency, stagnation, or an imbalance of energy in the meridians and their associated physiological systems.
Correcting Qi Imbalance
Acupuncture involves using extremely fine, flexible needles as one tool to correct the deficiency or imbalance of Qi. To help restore the proper flow of Qi, the needles are inserted into specific acupuncture points on the energetic pathways leading to the organs, muscles and nerves of the body. Modern science has been able to measure the electrical charge at these points, hence corroborating the locations of the meridians as mapped thousands of years ago. Acupuncture is only one part of the whole spectrum of Traditional Oriental Medicine. TOM also includes herbal therapy, moxibustion, Tui Na (medical massage), meditation, nutrition and diet, as well as exercise such as Tai Qi and Qi Gong.
For many patients, acupuncture is a new approach to treating both physical and emotional problems. Acupuncture is an amazing and diverse approach to well-being. Some of the conditions I think are well-suited to treatment by acupuncture include:
- Women’s Health: Fertility, Menstrual irregularities, PMS, Menopausal symptoms
- Digestive issues: constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, heartburn, IBS, Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis
- Pain: Back & knee, headaches, migraines, arthritis, sciatica, TMJ, carpal tunnel syndrome
- Mental/ Emotional Issues: anxiety, depression, insomnia
- Respiratory conditions: Colds & Flu, Allergies, Asthma, Cough
- Skin conditions: acne, rashes, psoriasis, eczema